Wednesday 19 May 2010

Bangalore Auto saga....

Couple of months ago, I went to Bangalore after 2 years. I had heard that the auto situation in Bangalore is a complete joke, and I experienced it big time.
Firstly, when you call for an auto, some don't look, if they do, they don't stop, if they stop, they don't want to ride you to the destination you need them to.. ! And above all, they demand crazy money if they decide to come to your destination.

One of my experiences this time around.. I wanted to go to Sadashivnagar from NandiDurga Road- Its probably about 5-6 km or even less. It was about 9.00 AM. I go to the main road with a hope of getting an auto. About 10 autos later, one guy stops for me.
He speaks in Hindi,

Me: Sadashivnagar
He: Who kahan hai, mujhe rasta pata nahi?
Me: Mekhri Circle se jaana padega, aapko mekhri cirle ka rasta pata to hoga na?
He: Nahi madam, pata nahin
Me: Chalo, mein bata doongi.. aap chalo..
He: Ok madam, aap ko Rs 80 dena padega..
Me(Shocked & angry) : Aapko ye pata nahin, ki Sadashivnagar kahan hai, aur aap mujhe bolte hai Rs 80 dho... Aapko kaise pata kitna door hai?
He: Smiles...
Me: Walk away to find another auto.. !

This guy annoyed me like crazy, first of all has no clue where Sadashivnagar is, forget that, does not even know where Mekhri circle is, cannot speak Kannada(local language) and then wants me to pay Rs 80(normally would have costed Rs40 or so) and tell him the route of how to get there.. If he could have, he probably would have asked me to ride his auto and he would have sat behind ! He has no clue how far away this place is or anything like that, for all he knows, I could have said Basavangudi!

Its a real frustration when you don't have a bike or a car that you can travel from one place to the other. The auto situation in Bangalore, made me helpless many times.. and I realised pretty quickly, that's its not a very pleasant state to be in,,,

5 comments:

snippetsnscribbles said...

I agree! Worthless people!

Best is to go by bus and that too, Volvo. Slightly expensive but you'd have anyways spent the same (or more) on the auto. Those people are atleast helpful and talk to you decently. One driver even gave me the website address to the volvo timetable!

And I guess prepaid autos are there only in majestic...

Anonymous said...

lol

I hear you. its much much better in chennai..the fare is crazy, but you are assured that the first auto you talk to agrees to give you a ride.

Somehow they know every nook and corner of the place..i have rarely come across an auto that has no clue of madras..
Now the best part...from home u can call the auto stand and tell your house number in 5 mins one auto stands in front of your house..:)

In chennai i drive only office..rest i depend on auto :)

Vasu

SR said...

@M - I was tempted a get a bus.. only if I knew where the bus was headed to... The idea of a timetable sounds good.. If you have the link.. email it to me.. Sounds handy to have

@Vasu- I like that service of calling the Auto stand and the auto turning up at your house.. Sounds good.. I wish that happens in Bangalore too

snippetsnscribbles said...

I've sent you a couple of emails with some details that might help you and folks in Blore :)

...and check this website out :)))
http://tuktastic.com/

SR said...

Thanks M..
Amazing website.. What technology can do to.. Damn Cool